Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sidebar with the Church





“1 O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 2 So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. 3 Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.” (Psalm 63:1-3)

If you've ever watched the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, you've seen his sidebars with folks.  He calls them over to one side of his "news desk" and has a personal talk with them.  I'd like to have a sidebar with the Church for a second.  Thanks.

Why is it that we don’t really appreciate something until it is absent or in short supply? (Even if that “short supply” is simply a matter of perspective?) The psalmist in the 63rd psalm says, “My soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you…so I have looked upon you.”

I think we allow our spiritual lives to fall victim to the same “don’t eat when you’re not hungry” or “don’t eat when you’re bored” mentality that saves many of us from large bottoms and thick waists. But God calls us to have loosened lips and praising tongues and glorifying lives all the time, not just when we get threadbare and soul thirsty!

God invites, and God deserves, our Glorias on a regular basis. When was the last time you let loose with a Gloria from the core of your spirit? When was the last time you found your completeness in God and found yourself shouting, “Eureka! I found it!”

The Gloria is, for some of us, a regular part of worship. “Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost! As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be; world without end! Amen! Amen!” My question for you, though, is this: when you lift up your Gloria, is the praise from your lips, or from your heart? Ponder this question today. May we not be a people of whom Jesus can say, “This people honors me with their lips, but their hearts are far away.” (Matt 15:8 ref. Isaiah 29:13).



No comments:

Post a Comment