Sunday, May 6, 2012

An Invitation



I serve in a unique setting, as a United Methodist pastor.  My congregation has Baptists and Pentecostals and Lutherans and Methodists and Non-Denominatinal folks and seekers and skeptics aplenty--not to mention the ethnic diversity that exists in my congregation.  Serving this community is a blessing, truly it is--despite the challenges.

Today was Communion Sunday for my chapel family.  As I opened the table, calling to mind the interdenominational family that we are, and extending the invitation for anyone and everyone to hear Christ's welcome, I found myself remembering the story of Jesus and Zacchaeus.

"Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through town. A man there named Zacchaeus, a ruler among tax collectors, was rich. He was trying to see who Jesus was, but, being a short man, he couldn't because of the crowd.  So he ran ahead and climbed up a sycamore tree so he could see Jesus, who was about to pass that way.  When Jesus came to that spot, he looked up and said, 'Zacchaeus, come down at once. I must stay in your home today.'  So Zacchaeus came down at once, happy to welcome Jesus. Everyone who saw this grumbled, saying, 'He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.'" (Luke 19:1-7 CEB)

Luke goes on to say that Zacchaeus sold half of his belongings to the poor and repaid four times what he had cheated people out of by virtue of his job.

Why tell this story before celebrating Communion?

Because Jesus saw someone who was curious and, regardless of his holiness (or lack thereof), broke bread in his house.  "I must stay in your home today."

No conditions.

No "when you get your jacked up life in order, I'll come visit you."

Just "I want to break bread in your home."

What a beautiful reminder of the invitation that Jesus extends to us as we gather at His table.  We don't need to be committed.  We don't need to be holy.  We don't need to be anything but open to his grace.

I love this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment